Carolina Military Institute Materials, MMP 14
Abstract
The Carolina Military Institute Materials collection is composed of four original
items documenting the Carolina Military Institute (formerly the North Carolina Military
Institute) of Charlotte, N.C., from the late 1870s through June 1882. Included is
an original lithograph of the Carolina Military Institute from an unidentified publication,
dating to around the 1870s. There are also two commencement programs for the institute
from June 14-15, 1882. Finally, the collection has a cover of a publication entitled
"Merit Rolls of the Classes" for the Carolina Military Institute from July 1877, which
has the names for the institute's staff and notes on it from one of the students.
These are some of a limited number of surviving materials from the institute's short-lived
revival from 1873 to 1882 following the U.S. Civil War.
Descriptive Summary
- Title
- Carolina Military Institute Materials
- Call Number
- MMP 14
- Creator
- Unidentified
- Date
- ca. 1870s-1882
- Extent
- 0.03 cubic feet
- Language
- English
- Repository
- State Archives of North Carolina
Restrictions on Access & Use
Access Restrictions
There are no restrictions on accessing this collection.
Use Restrictions
There are no restrictions on using this collection. However, as several of the materials in the collection are very fragile, researchers are encouraged to handle the materials carefully. Please leave materials in folders flat while using the collection.
Preferred Citation
[Item name or title], [Folder Number], Carolina Military Institute Materials, MMP
14, Miscellaneous Military Papers, Military Collection, State Archives of North Carolina,
Raleigh, N.C.
Arrangement Note
There is no particular arrangement for this collection.
Historical Note
The Carolina Military Institute (originally called the North Carolina Military Institute
or North Carolina Military Academy) was a state-supported military school opened in
Charlotte, N.C., in 1859. North Carolina by that time had established itself as a
leader in private military education, a means of education which became popular throughout
the South prior to the U.S. Civil War. After Virginia, South Carolina, and other southern
states experimented with publicly supported military schools, North Carolina followed
suit. Due to the efforts of later Confederate general Daniel H. Hill, the cornerstone
for the North Carolina Military Institute was laid in 1858. The school received a
charter from the North Carolina legislature in 1859, and opened its doors in the fall
of 1959 with 40 cadets. The first instructors of the school were Daniel Hill, who
was at the time a professor at Davidson College and became the superintendent of the
institute; General James H. Lane; and Charles C. Lee. There were also several other
instructors that served at the school.
Within a year, the school had more than 100 cadets. It was reported in an 1889 issue
of the Charlotte Observer newspaper that the first year of the school lasted without intermission throughout
the year; in August and September cadets spent time campaigning in the mountains of
North Carolina. By April 1861, the school had grown to include 150 cadets. With the
coming of the Civil War, the institute closed in 1861. North Carolina Governor John
W. Ellis ordered the entire corps of cadets to duty as drillmasters in Raleigh, N.C.
Many of these cadets later served in the 1st North Carolina Infantry, Confederate
Army, under Gen. Daniel H. Hill. All of the staff officers of this regiment were former
faculty members of the Institute. When the regiment was formed, North Carolina Adjutant
General Robert F. Hoke stipulated that the cadets could join the regiment with the
consent of their parents and guardians (since many were underage at the time). Once
most of the students and all of the leading faculty members had gone off to war, the
school was used as a Confederate military hospital between 1861 and 1865.
After the end of the Civil War, several efforts were made to revive the institution;
but none succeeded, mainly because of the unsettled and impoverished condition of
the country following the war. The buildings remained unoccupied and unused most of
the time, though the main building was used as a girls' school or academy at some
point between 1865 and 1873.
The school was revived in the fall of 1873 as the "Carolina Military Institute" by
Col. John P. Thomas of South Carolina, who later became superintendent of The Citadel
in Charlestown, S.C. After a few years, it functioned as a graded school only. Thomas
had thought of the project of founding a school which would embrace within the scope
of its aims and influence the youth of both North and South Carolina, and the school
formerly run as only a North Carolina institution was designated to serve students
from both the Carolinas. Col. Thomas met with many difficulties in the beginning of
reopening the school. This was largely, as it was reported at the time of the 1870s,
because educational opportunities or institutions met with little public support as
Southern states were attempting to recover following the Civil War financially and
otherwise.
The first academic year for the reborn institute began on October 1, 1873, and ended
October 1, 1874, with 102 cadets. During the start of the second year of the institute,
104 cadets were now matriculated at the institution. The primary object of the Carolina
Military Institute was to educate the cadet-mentally, morally, and physically. Its
aim was to develop the body as well as the mind, and to train and cultivate the moral
as well as the intellectual faculties. The institute remained opened through 1882,
before it was closed.
After the close of the military school, the building was used by the Charlotte public
school system from 1883 until 1950. Construction of an extension of Independence Boulevard
in Charlotte in 1954 led to the destruction of the former institute's brick school
building.
[Information for this historical note was taken from the following sources: U.S. Bureau
of Education Circular of Information No. 1, 1888, United States Bureau of Education,
Volume 8, Part 1; North Carolina Military Institute, N.C. Highway Historical Marker
L-80, N.C. Office of Archives and History; North Carolina Journal of Education, Vol.
1, No. 6, February 1875; and "North Carolina Military Institute," by Rod Andrew Jr.,
2006 NCPedia article].
Contents of the Collection
Acquisitions Information
The materials in the collection were received by the Military Collection of the State Archives of North Carolina from Richard M. Williard of Rolesville, N.C., in July 2019. The donation was completed in August 2019.
Processing Information
In order to provide individual descriptions on the materials, each item was assigned an item number within a numbered archival folder. The item numbers were note written on the original materials-only labeled as such in the finding aid for description. The items were numbered as follows: "MMP 14.F1.1" should be interpreted as "Miscellaneous Military Papers 14 collection, Folder 1, Item 1." Two of the materials were stored in archival plastic photograph sleeves to keep the materials stabilized, and safe during handling by researchers.